Cady Berkel, MD
Dr. Berkel’s research focuses on the implementation of programs for children and families in stressful situations and effects on health and well-being. Populations of interest are those experiencing health and social disparities, including Latinos and African Americans, and a range of age groups including adolescents and younger children. She has expertise with both quantitative and qualitative methods, with particular focus on behavioral observations and structural equation modeling.
Ph.D. in Child & Family Development
BA in Psychology, with Minors in Spanish and Criminal Justice
Certificate in Qualitative Research Methods
- Mauricio, A. M., Tein, J.-Y., Gonzales, N., Millsap, R., Dumka, L., & Berkel, C. (2014). Participation patterns among Mexican American parents enrolled in a universal intervention and their association with child externalizing outcomes. American Journal of Community Psychology, 54(3-4), 370-383.
- Berkel, C., Murry, V. M. Roulston, K. J. & Brody, G. H. (2013). Understanding the art and science of program implementation in the Strong African American Families program. Health Education, 113(4), 297-323.
- Schoenfelder, E. N., Sandler, I. N., Millsap, R. E., Wolchik, S. A., Berkel, C., & Ayers, T. S. (2013). Caregiver responsiveness to the Family Bereavement Program: What predicts responsiveness? What does responsiveness predict? Prevention Science, 14(6), 545–556.
- Murry, V. M., Berkel, C., Pantin, H., & Prado, G. (2012). Family-based HIV prevention with African American and Latino youth. W. Pequegnat & C. C. Bell (Eds.), Families and HIV/AIDS. New York: Springer.
- Berkel, C., Mauricio, A. M., Schoenfelder, E., & Sandler, I. N. (2011). Putting the pieces together: An integrated model of program implementation. Prevention Science, 12(1), 23–33.
- Berkel, C., Knight, G. P., Zeiders, K. H., Tein, J-Y, Roosa, M. W., Gonzales, N. A., & Saenz, D. (2010). Discrimination and adjustment for Mexican American adolescents: A prospective examination of the benefits of culturally-related values. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 20(4), 893–915. (NIHMS142561)
- Berkel, C., Murry, V. M., Hurt, T. R., Chen, Y.-f., Brody, G. H., Simons, R. L., Cutrona, C. & Gibbons, F. X. (2009). It takes a village: Protecting rural African American youth in the context of racism. Journal of Youth & Adolescence, 38(2), 175-188. (NIHMS103855)
- Barrow, R. Y., Berkel, C., Brooks, L. C., Groseclose, S. L., Johnson, D. B., & Valentine, J. A. (2008). Traditional STD prevention and control strategies: Adaptation for African American communities. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 35(12), S30-S39. (NIHMS103924)
- Division of STD Prevention & Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (2008). Recommendations for Partner Services Programs for HIV Infection, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydial Infection. MMWR, 57(RR09), 1-63.
- Murry, V. M., Berkel, C., Brody, G. H., Gerrard, M., & Gibbons, F. X. (2007). The Strong African American Families program: Longitudinal pathways to sexual risk reduction. Journal of Adolescent Health, 41(4), 333-342.